There are many choices and decisions to make even for something seemingly simple like a cash drawer. Beyond some straight forward preferences such as color, there are several questions that should be asked to help select the drawer that is right for each specific application. In this blog, we will discuss the basic questions to help narrow the field to a few choices.
The first question relates to the type of store. Will the drawer be opened often, such as in a fast food environment? Or will it be used less often, such as in a mall kiosk? Knowing the operational expectations will help determine if the drawer should be a heavy duty or a standard duty drawer.
Beyond this basic durability question, there are several more questions to ask. They include:
- How will the drawer be opened? (From the printer, serial or USB?)
- What does your software require to open the drawer?
- How much room is available for the POS equipment at the checkout counter?
- How will the flow of customers and product relate to the location of the drawer?
- Should the drawer be mounted under the counter?
- Will the drawer need to have all of the other POS devices located on top of it?
- Should the cables be hidden from view?
We will explore these and other questions in coming articles. In the meantime, if you have questions like this that you would like have addressed, feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to answer your question(s).